[Every Sunday from 8 to 10 p.m., Henry Rollins brings an exclusive mix of songs old and new to listeners at 89.9 FM, KCRW. Visit KCRW.com for more information and to stream his show online, or peruse the Radio Notes archives to see past playlists.]
RADIO BROADCAST #403
Fanatic! Here we are, together once again, and we are so glad to be able to have gathered all this music for you.
This is the first radio show I have put together only days out from the broadcast date for months. Obviously, it’s better to be able to work this way, allowing us to keep as current as possible. Hopefully you have been digging what we’ve been putting across.
I don’t know what you have planned for Christmas. For me, it’s a holiday for the masses and allows me some time to catch up on listening. I have a week off from tour coming up and Fanatic, I’m going to use it well. I am going to try to get 10 pieces listened to every day. I know it sounds a little utilitarian, but that’s what I try to do. This is what I got up to yesterday (Dec. 13) on a night off after my run of shows at Largo:
Pete Shelley – Wallpaper Music LP
Lorelle Meets the Obsolete (blue vinyl) – Balance LP
Warsaw – Warsaw LP
AM 291 Dead Comet Alive - Fever Swarms cassette
David Bowie – Blackstar (clear) LP
David Bowie – "Look Back in Anger" / "Repetition" (USA) 7”
David Bowie - "Beauty & the Beast" / "Sense of Doubt" (Australia / New Zealand) 7”
I try to keep a record of everything I listen to, what order, media, pressing, etc.
A Few Things to Bring to Your Attention Dept.: Some great releases and rereleases to make note of.
Lorelle Meets the Obsolete's new album, Balance, is excellent and even better when you hear it on vinyl. I just got the chance two days ago and, like all of their other albums, it’s totally worth it.
Thee Oh Sees have never been better. Two amazing albums out this year. The new one, An Odd Entrances, is stellar, as is its predecessor, A Weird Exits. There are no Thee Oh Sees albums you can live without as far as I can tell, and these two are mandatory.
Drastic Plastic, the great label out of Nebraska, is doing amazing reissues. So far, I have checked out The Cramps' Psychedelic Jungle and The Damned’s Machine Gun Etiquette and Black Album. They sound really good. Next year, the label threatens to reissue The Damned’s Music for Pleasure album. Can’t wait to hear what it does with that one. I just got its reissue of The Cramps' Songs the Lord Taught Us album, which I will rock over the weekend when I get back from London. Can’t wait.
I will be working on our next show immediately, as much as schedule and jet lag will allow. Not sure if KCRW will be having shows on 12-25-16, but I will work on one nonetheless. I have a line on some great releases happening for next year, but it’s not for me to steal a band or a label’s thunder, so I will keep my trap shut for now. But next year is going to be another good year for going to the record store.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Holiday safely and STAY FANATIC!!!
Follow me on Twitter: @henryrollins
01. The Butthole Surfers – Graveyard / Locust Abortion Technician
02. Mississippi Fred McDowell - I've Been Drinking Water Out of Hollow Log / self titled
03. Kurt Hohenberger w/ Seinem Solisten-Orchester – Rhythmus / Swinging Ballroom Berlin
04. TV Smith - Long Gone / I Delete
05. Jay Reatard - My Reality / Watch Me Fall
06. Thee Oh Sees - Unwrap the Fiend, Pt. 1 / An Odd Entrances
07. Point Juncture, WA - Paint It On / Me or the Party
08. Essendon Airport - Talking to Cleopatra / Sonic Investigations - of the Trivial
09. The Cramps - Can't Find My Mind / Psychedelic Jungle
10. Lesson Lesson Lessen Relearn - Stockhausen Syndrome / Potentials
11. Teledetente 666 - Soleil Nord Est / Karen
12. Phantom Forth - Double Negative / The EEPP LP
13. PIL – Swan Lake / Metal Box
14. Kim Salmon & Spence P Jones - I Need Somebody / Runaways
15. Teneleven-Proto (Mitsuru Nasuno) – Blue / Live 08-26-13
01. Roky Erickson - I Think of Demons / The Evil One
02. Martin Rev - Jacks and Aces / Strangeworld
03. David Lynch - Say It / The Big Dream
04. The Sods – Pathetic / Minutes to Go
05. The Damned - The History of the World Part 1 / The Chiswick Singles
06. Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus / Saint Vitus
07. Jah Stitch - Set Up Yourself Dreadlocks / If Deejay Was Your Trade
08. The Dictaphone – Pagans / Tp Hss
09. Dinosaur Jr. - Good to Know / Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not
10. Taipan Tiger Girls – Imprint / 1
11. Exhaustion - Your Memory Don’t Want You / Future Eaters
12. Generacion Suicida – Desconexion / Sombras
13. Nikki Sudden & Rowland S. Howard - Sob Story / Kiss You Kidnapped Charabanc
14. Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) / Electric Ladyland
More from the mind of Henry Rollins:
White America Couldn't Handle What Black America Deals With Every Day
Bowie's Blackstar Is on the Level of Low and Heroes
No Matter Who Wins, America Is Only Going to Get Angrier