Fanatics! Back From D.C. and Spring Is In the Air
KCRW BROADCAST #205
See also: Henry Rollins Gets a Colonoscopy
Fanatics! Flying back from Washington D.C. knocked a day out of my week and it took quite awhile for me to put our show together. I have to tell you, this is a great one! The warmer weather was the main inspiration for our soundtrack tonight.
I let the weather dictate a lot of how our show is put together. I don't know about you but it's the transitional seasons that I like the best. I know that it's still winter as far as the calendar goes, but the last few nights there's been that smell in the air and it's saying spring to me.
From last week's visit to D.C., I am still in a Go-Go frame of mind. I am hoping the Junkyard Band gets in touch with me and sends me some more of their music so we can check it out on the show. You should have seen their set at the 9:30 Club. It was one of the best shows I have seen in a long time. Scream was great as well.
We lost two members of the Temptations last month, Richard Street and Otis Harris, so tonight, we play my personal favorite Temps song. I remember standing in a tent with them at a Grammys press thing. When they walked in, everyone stopped what they were doing and just stared.
Tonight, we will get into some of the new Nick Cave album. The band's press person had me so tripped out about not saying anything about the album before it came out that I almost forgot the release date. If you have not checked out Push the Sky Away, you should. If you are interested, check this out, it's the new Rolling Stone in Australia. Nick Cave is on the cover, I did the interview. It came out really well. I don't think it's posted anywhere. Hopefully, one of the fan sites will put it up.
Last year, the band Anywhere sent me their album and I thought I had played something from it but searching through our set lists, I see that I didn't. Tonight we make up for that and rock a track from their self-titled first LP. Here's a site to hear more.
The last fifteen minutes of our show, I went for full on rockin flame out. I hope that is cool with you all. I reckon the warmer temperatures warrant these jams.
It's a great night of music. I hope you like it. Dig the thaw and STAY FANATIC!!!
See Henry's tracklist below:
01. The Stooges - Raw Power / Raw Power
02. Rose Royce - Car Wash / The Disco Years Vol. 1
03. The Ruts - Staring At The Rude Boys / Punk Singles
04. The J.B.'s - The Grunt / Food For Thought
05. White Mystery - Overwhelmed / White Mystery
06. The Du-droppers - Can't Do Sixty No More / Red Robin Records Pt. 1
07. Ty Segall & White Fence - Crybaby / Hair
08. Hallelujah Chicken Run Band - Mudzimu Ndiringe / Chicken Run
09. The Temptations - Cloud Nine / Greatest Hits
10. Unrest - Cath Carroll / Cath Carroll promo CD
11. UV Race - Unknown Pleasures / Racism
12. The Fall - Two Librans / The Unutterable
13. Parliament - Chocolate City / Chocolate City
14. Michael Yonkers & The Blind Shake - A Little Crazy / Period
15. The Melvins - Green Honey / Ozma
01. Beastie Boys - Intergalactic / Hello Nasty
02. Devo - Clockout / Duty Now for the Future
03. The Clash - Remote Control / The Clash
04. Dee Dee Ramone - Hop Around / Hop Around
05. The Cindells - Don't Bring Me Down / Back From The Grave Vol. 8
06. Fugazi - Greed / Repeater + 3 Songs
07. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away / Push The Sky Away
08. The Cravats - In Your Eyes / The Cravats In Toy Town
09. Wire - Outdoor Miner / Chairs Missing
10. Anywhere - Dead Golden West / Anywhere
11. XBXRX - Track 02 / Clear
12. Motörhead - No Class / All The Aces
13. Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules / The Mob Rules
14. Slayer - New Faith / God Hates Us All
15. The Stains - Sick And Crazy / Chunks
16. Led Zeppelin - Ocean / How The West Was Won
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.