Fanatics! Another Onslaught of Amazing Jams
RADIO BROADCAST #225
Fanatics! Have we got a show for you tonight! All kinds of new releases, and odd ricocheting off all the walls of the record store.
New Black Pus album sounds great, as all things that Brian Chippendale is behind. We have been listening to his other band Lighting Bolt for some time and recently, we have been working in more of his solo material. All noisy, excellent stuff.
Also, very exciting is this Best of James Brown at the Apollo 50th Anniversary release on Polydor that just came out. It has a couple of unreleased tracks and one of them is the live version of "There It Is" that we are rockin tonight. Makes you wonder what else in the vaults.
Tonight, we devote an entire segment to a label called Superior Viaduct. They have some great new releases, and I thought it would be a good idea to acquaint you with what they are doing. The label has been releasing very cool and very brave re-issues. Their new batch is really fantastic and tonight we check some of it out. I am very happy about the re-issue of Craig Leon's very cool Nommos album. A very cool slice of outsider electronic structuralist sound from the man who produced the first Suicide album. Of all labels, it originally came out on Takoma. That's right, Fanatic, John Fahey's label. Make sense when you think about it.
The re-issue sounds excellent on LP and the download that comes with it sounds good as well. Also, the re-release of Monitor's album, very cool. I used to see them hundreds of years ago. Perhaps my favorite of all these great records would be the DEVO Hardcore re-issues. You remember a long time ago, these songs came out on the excellent Rykodisc label and went out of print. Not only has Superior Viaduct re-issued these classic DEVO tracks, they have added more and have put it all on LP. The red vinyl pressing is probably long gone but you can still get the black vinyl editions. Well, what do you know, the CD version that contains Vols. 1 & 2 has liner notes by yours truly. If you look at what's upcoming on their roster, you will see that they are going to put out Helton's Interface LP. That is an incredible record. Keep your eyes on Superior Viaduct.
I was talking to Ian MacKaye last Sunday and he was telling me about this band called Dark and that he was digging a re-issue of their album Dark Round the Edges. I went out and found us a copy and tonight, we shall listen to a track. Working hard for you on a Sunday night. It is has been re-issued by Machu Picchu and you can find it from your good friends at Light in the Attic.
Hour number two dies not disappoint. It's another onslaught of amazing jams. Remember that cool Miles live set that came out earlier this year? More of that. New track from The Mallard, another new release on Castle Face. We have not played anything off the new White Mystery album in awhile, so I thought we had better get into that one. I thought we should rock an EP and so I picked the amazing Roky Erickson four track 7" that came out on the French label Sponge in 1977. The single is not at all easy to find but the tracks have been re-issued on 12" and on CD. If you are a Roky fan and have not heard the Sponge versions of these tracks, you are in for a treat.
I tried to stay away from more Buzzcocks songs and found myself unable. Right after a track from the Evens new album The Odds on Dischord, we end with a Charlie Harper solo track, one of my favorite songs ever.
Next week's show will be very cool, very Germany, as that's where I'll be, at the Wacken Festival. Until then, we are live live live. You, me, Engineer X and the Young Will B.
Get ready for the Jams that are to come and STAY FANATIC!!!
See Henry's tracklist below
01. Black Pus - Fly On The Wall / All My Relations
02. James Brown - There It Is / Best Of Live At The Apollo: 50th Anniversary
03. Metal Urbain - Ghetto / Anarchy In Paris!
04. Alan Vega - Bad Scene / Deuce Avenue
05. DEVO - Bamboo Bimbo / Hardcore Vol. 2
06. Craig Leon - Ring With Three Concentric Circles / Nommos
07. Monitor - Pavilion / Monitor
08. MX-80 Sound - Fascination / Hard Attack
09. Dark - Zero Time / Dark Round the Edges
10. John Lindaman - Talk To It -- Find Out What It Wants / Black Death DNA
11. La Machine - Rock Crash / Phases & Repetition
12. The Lamps - Bob The Cat / Lamps
01. Miles Davis Quintet - Sanctuary (7-26-69 Juan-les-Pins France) / Bootleg Vol. 2
02. Wire - Three Girl Rumba / Pink Flag
03. Holger Czukay, Jah Wobble & Jaki Liebezeit - Twilight World / Full Circle
04. The Mallard - A Form Of Mercy / Finding Meaning In Deference
05. White Mystery - San Francisco Dream / Telepathic
06. Roky Erickson - Mine Mine Mind / Sponge EP
07. Roky Erickson - Click Your Fingers Applauding The Play / Sponge EP
08. Roky Erickson - Two-Headed Dog / Sponge EP
09. Roky Erickson - I Have Always Been Here Before / Sponge EP
10. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Reverberation (Doubt) / Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye
11. Buzzcocks - Autonomy / Another Music in Different Kitchen
12. Flin Flon - Cardigan / Dixie
13. The Evens - Wanted Criminals / The Odds
14. Charlie Harper - Talk Is Cheap / single
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.
More Music News
- Hear L.A. Doom-Metalers Ancient Altar's Bleak, Majestic Dead Earth (PREMIERE)
Tue., Sep. 1, 10:30pm
Wed., Sep. 2, 7:00pm
Wed., Sep. 2, 7:30pm
Wed., Sep. 2, 9:00pm
- La Santa Cecilia Finds Success Repping L.A's Cultural Hodgepodge
- A Year After the Death of Bassist Ventura XIII, Black Lodge Returns (PREMIERE)