Fanatics! A Good Mix Tape Feel
RADIO BROADCAST #263
04 - 13 - 14
Fanatics! I am in Austin, Texas as I write you now, Tuesday the 8th. I prepared this show for us several days ago. I am listening down to the tracks now and I have to say, it's a great one. Look at all those great artists, how can we go wrong?!
I thought that tonight, we would listen to a lot of familiar stuff, at least bands that we play a lot, that thing we do sometimes of trading in the exploratory for a good mix tape feel.
It's always a hard call, to try and figure out that if I like a song or songs, if they are actually any good. It is obvious that I'm sold! I just hope that you feel the same way, or at least with it enough not to stop listening. It could very well be that I put too much thought into making the show but I don't think so. It's a great opportunity to make something really excellent. It's not like I have anything to do with the songs but it's fun to try to assemble a great two hours of music.
If I had to do this five nights a week, I don't think I could, or it would be all I did. Can you imagine a show like this every night? Hello, listener burn out!
Two nights ago, I was listening to an almost pristine copy of Can's Tago Mago album. It's a UK pressing, sounds amazing. That album on vinyl should be in every Fanatic dwelling. Anyway, I got so worked up about it, I played the whole thing over again out of a McIntosh receiver/Rega P3 turntable onto CD. Came out sounding great. I a-b'd it against the CD masterings I have of the album and I like the CDR much better. I thought that we should rock this entire album in one show. It's a lot of music but wow, such great stuff. I will put that show together in a few weeks and I think we will roll that one out in July. Yes, that's how far in advance I am working on shows this year. My shoot schedule is pretty demanding.
You know the drill, Fanatic! Check the list below and if you feel it, listen in.
Oh! Before I forget, next week's show for 4-20-14 is SO 4-20. Get ready! Next week's show - you can put your weed in it.
Stay Loose and STAY FANATIC!!!
- - Henry
See Henry's playlist on the next page...
Henry Rollins' 20 Favorite Punk Albums
Henry Rollins' Favorite Albums of 2013
Henry Rollins: The American People Kicked Your Ass, Republicans
Henry Rollins: Gay Marriage Is Punk Rock
01. The Lost Sounds - Ocelots Rising - Black Wave
02. Van Halen - Atomic Punk 12-31-78 / Live at the Whisky (tape)
03. The Clash - London's Burning / The Clash
04. The Cigarettes - They're Back Again, Here They Come / Will Damage Your Health!
05. Tom Waits - Sea of Love / Orphans box set
06. Fats Waller - Black Raspberry Jam / Early Years Pt. 3
07. Weirdos - A Life of Crime / Destroy All Music
08. The Damned - Sick of Being Sick / The Stiff Years
09. Generation X - Trying For Kicks / Generation X
10. The Minutemen - Monuments / The Punch Line
11. Melt-Banana - Red Data, Red Stage / Fetch
12. Lightnin Hopkins - Gonna Pull A Party / Traditional Masters
13. Gun Club - Bill Bailey / Mother Juno
14. Nick Cave - The Moon Is In The Gutter / B-Sides and Rarities
15. The Saints - (I'm) Stranded / (I'm) Stranded
16. Kid Congo - Our Other World / Gorilla Rose
01. Sonic's Rendezvous Band - Electrophonic Tonic / box set
02. Bo Diddley - Road Runner / Best Of
03. Brigitte Fontaine & Areski Belkacem - Le Repas Des Dromadaires / Vous Et Nous
04. Various Artists - Ubuhuha 1 / Burundi: Musiques Traditionnelles
05. Archie Shepp - In A Sentimental Mood / On This Night
06. Parliament - Flash Light / Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome
07. Brian Eno - Blank Frank / Here Come the Warm Jets
08. Thelonious Monk - Crepuscule With Nellie / Complete Riverside Recordings
09. Frank Zappa - WPLJ / Burnt Weeny Sandwich
10. Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Which Way to Go / Primary Colours
11. The Evens - Wanted Criminals / The Odds
12. Omar Souleyman - Hedi Hedi (Slowly, Slowly) / Haflat Gharbia
13. Miles Davis - Great Expectations / Big Fun
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.