Supperclub In Hollywood Defends Itself After Charges Of Overcrowding, Fire Hazards | The Informer | Los Angeles | Los Angeles News and Events | LA Weekly
Loading...
Nightlife

Supperclub In Hollywood Defends Itself After Charges Of Overcrowding, Fire Hazards

Comments (0)

By

Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 9:03 AM

click to enlarge SUPPERCLUB / FACEBOOK
  • Supperclub / Facebook
Supperclub, the Hollywood venue hit last week with a City Attorney's case that alleges overcrowding, fire-code violations and "life safety hazards," defended itself in a statement sent out to the media over the weekend.

Strangely, the club singled out the Weekly's coverage despite similar reports in other outlets. The club appears to twist a few facts. Here's what the venue says:

Responding to an LA Weekly article on supperclub los angeles earlier today, supperclub has never had an incident of a fire tragedy at our venue upon opening.

We never said it had ever had "an incident of a fire tragedy." (We simply noted that it was hit with charges alleging overcrowding and fire-related violations so soon after the nightclub tragedy in Brazil).

The venue goes on to state that ...

click to enlarge SUPPERCLUB.COM
  • supperclub.com

... all our curtains and soundproof material are class 1/A fire retardant. Building a brand new venue in Hollywood, our sprinkler and fire extinguishing systems are up to code with the Los Angeles Fire Department and gets routine check ups by the service provider.

(The case against the club isn't really about its materials, sprinkler system or check-ups by civilians as far as we know. The venue was not "brand new" when Supperclub took over. It was the circa-1935 Vogue Theater, though we're sure it took considerable renovation to make it club-worthy).

Jerry Garcia, identified in the press release as "co-owner and spokesperson for supperclub," says:

We pride ourselves in providing extraordinary customer service in a safe environment to our patrons. Mr. Garcia would also like to acknowledge that the Los Angeles Police Department and Los Angeles Fire Department have been working with management in making sure nothing like the tragedy in Brazil ever happens in our establishment, let alone in Hollywood.

All of Hollywood?

Finally, the statement claims that the folks named in the criminal complaint (which the City Attorney's office says is squarely aimed at Supperclub), are not the owners and ...

... are not related to supperclub's management team. These people are dismayed in the claims made to the alleged acquisitions.

We're not really sure what's meant by that last sentence.

The club says "Demitri Samaha" is "one of supperclub's contractors that built the venue."

Again, the venue wasn't built from scratch.

It's interesting to note the statement doesn't seem to refute the City Attorney's case directly, including charges that a flare was shot off inside the venue in violation of the law, that exits were once blocked, that it was nearly double its capacity one night, or that it employed trapeze artists over the dance floor despite authorities' warnings not to.

This is bizarre and self-defeating public relations is you ask us. (The club didn't even send us its statement directly, even after we reached out).

You can read the club's whole statement here.

[@dennisjromero / djromero@laweekly.com / @LAWeeklyNews]

Related Content

Related

Now Trending

Los Angeles Concert Tickets