Loading...
Crazytown

Marcos Gurrola: Fashion Island Shooting Suspect Had Security Guard, Gun Licenses

Comments (0)

By

Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM

click to enlarge Gurrola. - OC SHERIFF
  • OC Sheriff
  • Gurrola.
Marcos Gurrola, the 42-year-old suspected of opening fire outside Newport Beach's Fashion Island mall only a day after the Newtown mass shooting, once was a state-licensed security guard with a gun permit.

State records show that his firearm permit and "guard/patrolperson registration" expired nearly 10 years ago but, for some reason, his permit to carry a baton is good until 2045.

Here's video of the shooting in progress:

Cops told the Los Angeles Times over the weekend what they thought the motive was:

This was his way of venting his life problems.

News that he was once a security guard with a permit to carry was reported by Eric Longabardi at The Enterprise Report.

We found the same records online:

click to enlarge gurrola_guard_permit.JPG

click to enlarge gurrola_firearm_permit.JPG

click to enlarge gurrola_baton_permit.JPG

Gurrola allegedly scared the hell out of shoppers at the otherwise blue-blood mall Saturday about 4:30 p.m., police said, by opening fire with a semiautomatic handgun.

He pulled the trigger multiple times in a parking lot near the mall's Macy's department store, cops said, but he didn't appear to target or hit anyone. Newport Beach police:

Based on witness statements at the scene, and as a result of the preliminary investigation it was determined that the suspect fired approximately 50 rounds from a handgun into the air. There were no reports of injuries related to the shots fired, however one individual sustained minor injuries while fleeing the area.

The suspect was standing next to his vehicle at the time of the arrest and advised officers there was additional ammunition located in the trunk of his vehicle. As a precautionary measure the Orange County Sheriff's Department Bomb Squad was called in to remove the ammunition from the vehicle.

Look for the latest updates at our sister publication OC Weekly.

[@dennisjromero / djromero@laweekly.com / @LAWeeklyNews]

Related Content

Now Trending

  • Burning Man Shut Down Due to Weather

    The annual Burning Man festival in Black Rock, Nevada was shut down today after light overnight rains left the area known as the Playa flooded and muddy, officials said. Organizers advised festival-goers heading to the annual event to postpone their arrival until at least midday tomorrow. Burning Man was providing...
  • L.A. Cops Knew Miley Cyrus' VMAs Date Was a Wanted Man

    Los Angeles authorities were previously made aware that Miley Cyrus' American Music Awards date, 22-year-old homeless man Jesse Helt, was wanted in Oregon, said Martin Silbernagel, Community Corrections director for Polk County. When asked if the Los Angeles Police Department and the L.A. County Sheriff's Department were notified that Helt had a...
    3
  • Did Miley Cyrus Get Bad Counsel from Charity Consultant on VMA Date?

    Trevor Neilson is big name in celebrity philanthropic consulting, but he's no stranger to controversy. And now he's dealing with a controversy that appears to be of his own creation — failing to fully background-check the homeless young man, Jesse Helt, before letting Helt take the mic for Miley Cyrus...
    2
Los Angeles Concert Tickets