Loading...
Class Warfare

Occupy's San Fernando Valley House Subject of Foreclosure: Party in Progress

Comments (0)

By

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM

click to enlarge The Hernandez house. - @OCCUPYLA
  • @OccupyLA
  • The Hernandez house.
Occupy has been a mostly quiet force since it was booted from the City Hall lawn late last year, save for a few eruptions like July's clash with cops over "chalking" at Art Walk.

Maybe the movement has found its forte, however, in more focused occupations, like one today of a Van Nuys residence it says is slated for foreclosure. Instead of helping residents move out of what has become the "home to Occupy San Fernando Valley," they're staying and partying:

The address of Ulises Hernandez and four young children -- some reportedly cousins of his own kids -- is a bite-size piece of the Occupy cause:


View Larger Map

The residence at 14620 Leadwell St. is the subject of a move-out order effective yesterday, Occupy LA states via Facebook:

After 4 years of battling the banks, our comrade Ulises Hernandez and his family have been served a five day notice to vacate their home. The notice was received on Tuesday, August 21st and the final eviction date is Sunday, August 26th.

The Hernandez house has served as a home to not only the 9 people living there (4 small children included), but also as a home to Occupy San Fernando Valley. It is where our garden was born, art has been made and where we have grown to love each other like family.

We can't possibly vacate the home without having a going away party.

KTLA News reported that the family couldn't afford the home's mortgage after bigger payments went into effect, leading to foreclosure.

Occupiers opened the "occuparty" barbecue event to one and all, with a potluck food policy. It lasts until tomorrow night at 10.

[@dennisjromero / djromero@laweekly.com / @LAWeeklyNews]

Related Content

Now Trending

  • iFail: Why John Deasy's Risky iPad Gambit Crashed and Burned at LAUSD

    In a surprising reversal, L.A. Unified Superintendent John Deasy has abruptly halted the district's billion-dollar technology program, which aimed to put an iPad into the hands of every student and teacher by the end of, yes, this year. It's a rare retreat for the headstrong superintendent intent on getting the...
  • Man Suspected in Random Valley Shootings Charged With Murder

    A man named as a suspect in random San Fernando Valley shootings Sunday that took the lives of three people was charged with murder in an earlier attack in Pacoima, the L.A. County District Attorney's office announced this afternoon. The revelation confirms that authorities believe 34-year-old suspect Alexander Hernandez could be...
    3
  • Burning Man Shut Down Due to Weather

    The annual Burning Man festival in Black Rock, Nevada was shut down today after light overnight rains left the area known as the Playa flooded and muddy, officials said. Organizers advised festival-goers heading to the annual event to postpone their arrival until at least midday tomorrow. Burning Man was providing...
Los Angeles Concert Tickets