Loading...
West Hollywood

Community Activists Spar Over Walgreens Project in West Hollywood

Comments (0)

By

Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

click to enlarge Proposed Walgreens project in WeHo
  • Proposed Walgreens project in WeHo
Update, Tuesday, May 8: West Hollywood City Council approved the Walgreens project on Monday night. Read reaction from those who opposed it after the jump.

For years, West Hollywood community activists were united in their fight to stop the construction of a proposed Walgreens at Santa Monica and Crescent Heights boulevards.

The mixed-use project had been stalled for years as a result, but plans have since been reconfigured and it may finally get approval from the West Hollywood City Council tonight. This time around, though, community activists are split in their opposition.

"It's a beautiful piece of architecture," says longtime activist Allegra Allison, "and it'll upgrade the neighborhood." Other folks aren't so sure.

"We all agree that something needs to be done on that corner," says Michelle Manire, spokeswoman for WeHo Neighbors, which continues the fight, "but the project is still too big."

Among a host of complaints such as building another chain drug store that's not needed in West Hollywood and even worse traffic flow at an already congested intersection, Manire also says the project "looms" over the neighborhood.

Allegra Allison, who lives two blocks away, counters, "It started off exactly the kind of building we had always been fighting. It was this huge gigantic block. But [Pacific Development Partners] actually listened to the neighbors. It's not a huge massive thing."

She adds, "Traffic is always going to be a nightmare there."

West Hollywood City Council members Jeff Prang, Abbe Land, John Heilman, John D'Amico, and John Duran will take a look at it tonight at the council's regular meeting. Manire wouldn't say what next steps may be taken if the politicians approve the project.

Update, Tuesday, May 8: The West Hollywood City Council approved the Walgreens mixed-use project last night. In response, WeHo Neighbors spokeswoman Michelle Manire writes to us in an email:

"Obviously, we are disappointed with the outcome, and the process. This whole project is a symptom of a 'system' in West Hollywood that is broken and outdated. That system feeds on apathy. Until enough of the people who are sick of the system take the time to stand up to it, and in a unified fashion, positive change won't come."

She adds that it's "really up to the community" to fight the project any further.

Contact Patrick Range McDonald at pmcdonald@laweekly.com.

Follow McDonald on Facebook and Twitter.

Related Content

Now Trending

  • Woman Fatally Struck by Vehicle at Burning Man

    A woman was fatally struck by a vehicle at Burning Man today, organizers said. The Pershing County Sheriff’s Office in Nevada identified the deceased as 29-year-old Alicia Louise Cipicchio of Jackson, Wyoming. Burning Man spokesman Jim Graham said she fell under a bus or "large vehicle" that was carrying participants early today. See...
  • Burning Man Shut Down Due to Weather

    The annual Burning Man festival in Black Rock, Nevada was shut down today after light overnight rains left the area known as the Playa flooded and muddy, officials said. Organizers advised festival-goers heading to the annual event to postpone their arrival until at least midday tomorrow. Burning Man was providing...
  • L.A. Porn Production Shuts Down Over HIV Report

    The adult video industry's trade group today called for a moratorium on production after a performer might have tested positive for HIV. The Los Angeles-based Free Speech Coalition said in a statement that one of the facilities used by porn stars under the industry's voluntary, twice-a-month STD testing protocol "reported...
Los Angeles Concert Tickets