Loading...
Parent Trigger

Parents Fighting For Law-Backed Right to Take Over Compton Elementary School Take Cause to Sacramento

Comments (0)

By

Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 1:18 PM
click to enlarge Parent Trigger proponents head to Sacramento.
  • Parent Trigger proponents head to Sacramento.

Updated after the jump: The folks trying to legally take over their Compton elementary school are claiming a big victory in Sacramento following this trip.

The parent troops in Southern California who have been trying, so far unsuccessfully, to remake a Compton campus into a charter school under state law are headed to Sacramento to let their voices be heard on the matter Wednesday.

The so-called Parent Trigger law sounds awesome in theory: It allows parents with enough signatures and a crappy enough school to sign up to turn things around, charter-style. Except that the Compton Unified School District is doing everything it can -- including suggesting that some of the signatories are illegal aliens -- to prevent the community from getting their school, McKinley Elementary, back.

And so ...

... off they go to Sacto, more than 100 parents, by bus, to testify before the State Board of Education (1430 N St.) at 9 a.m. tomorrow.

They're gathering tonight starting at 10 p.m. at Church of the Redeemer, 900 E. Rosecrans Ave., near Compton, before getting on buses.

The parents want their voices heard as the Board of Education considers permanent Parent Trigger rules and procedures that will replace emergency ones set to expire March 15.

"These parents' rights need to be set in stone," Parent Revolution spokeswoman Linda M. Serrato tells the Weekly.

Update: Organizers of the trip claimed victory Thursday, saying that the state Board of Education agreed to extend emergency regulations that place the Compton parents in the right, call a special meeting April 21 to finalize permanent rules, and eschew "clean up" regs that parents feared would water down their ability to do this takeover .

First posted at 3:39 p.m. on Tuesday.

Related Content

Related

Now Trending

  • Jay Z Grand Park Concert Is Official as Mayor Plans Announcement

    It looks like Mayor Eric Garcetti is going to officially announce that a two-day "Budweiser Made in America" festival is taking place  at downtown L.A.'s Grand Park. The mayor's office said today he " will make an announcement with Shawn "JAY Z" Carter, Supervisor Gloria Molina, City Council President Herb...
  • L.A.'s Top 10 Streets for Bicycle Crashes Revealed

    You're probably already aware that there's a hit-and-run epidemic in L.A., and that bicycling in a car-crazed capital like Los Angeles can be hazardous to your health. See also: Critical Mass Bike Ride Recognizes L.A. Hit-&-Run Victims But the nerds at the MIT Media Lab's Social Computing Group recently came up...
  • "Compton Division" Pimps Made Millions, Cops Say

    A trio of local pimps forced women to work the streets from San Diego to Las Vegas and beyond, cops say, and they allegedly made millions doing so. But now 31-year-old Robert Walker, 34-year-old Daniel Gunther, and 34-year-old David Sheffey, who called their crew the Compton Division, are behind bars, says...

Slideshows