Loading...
City News

Cárdenas Won't Take From LAX Concessions; But His Chief of Staff Will

Comments (0)

By

Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:26 AM

click to enlarge Jose Cornejo (left) chats with his boss, Tony Cardenas
  • Jose Cornejo (left) chats with his boss, Tony Cardenas
Earlier this week, we told you about the fundraiser that L.A. Councilman Tony Cárdenas will hold at El Paseo Inn. The fundraiser will be on July 29, the same day that Cårdenas presides over a hearing on the extremely lucrative LAX concessions contracts. El Paseo Inn just happens to be owned by one of the bidders.

In that post, we quoted Cárdenas' chief of staff, Jose Cornejo, saying that his boss will not take any contributions from LAX concession companies.

That prohibition, however, does not apply to Jose Cornejo.


Cornejo was one of 13 candidates for L.A. County Assessor in the June primary. He didn't do so well, finishing 10th.

Of the money he raised for his campaign, more than 10% -- $2,500 -- came from two LAX concessions: Soto & Sanchez and Concessions Management Services.

Neither one would seem to have much of an interest in who the next assessor is. Both are part of bids now pending before Cárdenas' committee.

Another $1,000 came from Jeffer, Mangels, Butler & Marmaro, a lobbying firm that represents Hudson News, which is also bidding for a contract at LAX. As a registered lobbyist, Jeffer Mangels would be barred from contributing to a city campaign.

Cornejo was out of the office yesterday and today, and unable to respond. But when asked on Monday about Cárdenas' fundraising, he said, "If you can't separate fundraising and doing what's right for the people of L.A., you shouldn't be in politics."

Related Content

Now Trending

Los Angeles Concert Tickets