Sandra Bernhard at REDCAT
Sandra Bernhard: I Love Being Me, Don't You?
Sandra Bernhard performs I Love Being Me, Don't You? this weekend, and through August 21. Check out Amy Lyons' review on Tuesday.
Also check back on Tuesday for all capsule NEW THEATER REVIEWS seen over the weekend. In addition to Sandra Bernhard, these include Devil's Love at Midnight over at Zombie Joe's Underground; Dolls!, Evelyn Rudie and Chris DeCarlo's new musical at Santa Monica Playhouse; Sarah Kane's 4.48 Psychosis, presented by City Garage Bergamot Station/Track 16, also in Santa Monica; the latest Groundlings sketch comedy offering, Live Nude Groundlings, over at the Groundlings Theatre; Michael Cilnis' The New Girl from the Former Mrs. ___, presented by
Skypilot Theatre at T.U. Studios in North Hollywood; Doug Haverty's new play, Next Window, Please at North Hollywood's Lonny Chapman Theatre; Kyle Jarrows' comedy, Trigger presented by TNT Entertainment at Hollywood's Second Stage Theater; and , Enda Walsh's The Walworth Farce , at Burbank's The Banshee
GRANTS FOR INNOVATIVE STRATEGIES TO FULFILL ARTISTIC MISSIONS, NOW AVAILABLE FOR L.A.-BASED NON PROFIT THEATERS
From the Sheri and Les Biller Family Foundation:
As a grant-maker
devoted to active philanthropy, The Sheri and Les Biller Family
Foundation is committed to staying in touch with our grantees in the
theatre community and providing new opportunities for organizations to
sustain and enhance their artistic activities.
are proud to announce a new award for small Los Angeles-based
non-profit theatres in recognition of their innovative strategies to
fulfilling their mission. The
Foundation seeks to support exceptional theatre organizations that have
given significant thought to their long-term viability and who have
distinguished themselves from other Los Angeles theatres.
Biller Family Foundation will reward organizations with general
operating grants varying in size from $2,500 to $10,000. Applications
will be evaluated on the following criteria: 1) demonstration of the
organization's ability to think creatively and aspirationally and 2)
quality of how ideas are articulated. Unlike previous Biller Family
Foundation theatre funding, this award is not limited to theatre
organizations serving young audiences.
Who Can Apply?
1. Non-profit theatre organizations based in Los Angeles County
Organizations with an annual operating budget for the most
recently-completed fiscal year with income of more than $100,000 and
less than $1.5 million
3. Organizations that have completed the California Cultural Data Project and the LA Stage Arts Census
Organizations with a history of at least two consecutive years of
producing and/or presenting theatre to Los Angeles County audiences
September 16, 2011: Proposals due by 5 p.m. via email to inquiries@
September 19 - Proposals reviewed, organizations contacted with any follow-up
October 28, 2011: questions.
November 4, 2011: Grantees announced and donations made.
Application Should Include
Note: Narrative for Items 1 - 8 should be no more than four pages
1. Legal Name of Organization and Tax ID Number
2. Address Information, Online Information if Applicable - Website, Facebook, Twitter
3. Primary Contact for this Application: Name, Title, Phone Number and Email address
4. Mission Statement of Organization
Staff: What is the staff structure for any paid theatre staff? Note
full-time vs. part-time staff and include 1-paragraph bios for the
organization's artistic leader(s).
Community/Core Audience: Who does your organization primarily serve?
What is the number of individuals your organization interacts with on an
annual basis? How are you reaching out to
various members of your community?
Mission Fulfillment and Organizational Relevance: What activities will
your theatre engage in between November 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012 to
fulfill its mission? How do these activities distinguish your
organization from others? How do these activities keep your organization
relevant to the citizens of Los Angeles County? Include information
about your process for making artistic decisions.
Sustainability: What factors threaten your organization's vitality?
What solutions has your organization implemented that demonstrate how
you stay relevant and ensure your continued existence?
9. Copy of Board-approved Budget for Current Fiscal Year with Written Explanations when Appropriate
10. Copy of 501 c-3 tax-exempt status letter
11. Copy of Audited Financial Statement for most recently-completed fiscal year.
Artistic Documentation Sample. Please include a video sample of the
organization's work, not to exceed 4 minutes in length. The sample can
be submitted as a YouTube link, or a DVD.
How Award Funds Can be Used
* Award funds cannot be used to fund new staff positions.
* Award funds cannot fund the purchase or construction of a theatre venue.
* Award funds must cover expenses for activities around
artistic programming must takes place between November 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012 (and can extend beyond this timeframe).
* Do not call the Biller Family Foundation with questions about your application.
Get the Theater Newsletter
Get a rundown of upcoming theater events and ticket deals in Los Angeles.
More ARTS News
- 5 Great Free Things to Do in L.A. This Week (Besides Seeing Fireworks)
- OKCupid Blind Dating Is Much Less Intense Than OKStupid at UCB (VIDEO)
- 18 Best Things to Do in L.A. This Week