Do You Have a Backup For That? Library of Congress Acquires Entire Twitter Archive: Top 9 Responses
By now you probably know that the Library of Congress is archiving every single tweet on Twitter since Twitter's inception in 2006. If you didn't know, it's probably because (a) you're not on Twitter, (b) you have a real life that exists apart from the internet that is not dependent on telling total strangers which grocery you went to in 140 characters or less, or (c) you're dead.
It's been two and a half months since the announcement was made (via Twitter). Since then, the original Library of Congress blog post has racked up some 66 comments. By the time you get to the end of this sentence, IF you get to the end of this sentence, that number will be ancient history.
These are the best of the comments:
1. "You have 167 terabytes of web info! Do you have a backup of that?"
2. "What the hell. That's awful."
3. "My tax dollars are paying for this? You can't be serious."
4. "There is no putting the genie back in the bottle."
5. "Don't judge what is worthless and what is not, for you never know what use might the future have for them. Would you archive, say, a generic announcement about taxes? No? Ahem: the Rosetta Stone was just that."
6. "Think about using the tweets of Obama or other historic figures to gain insights on their decisions? What if we had had those for Lincoln or Roosevelt?"
7. "Whatever we do now online is a legacy to humanity's future and captures the essence of who we are."
8. "I am so excited I have blogged and tweeted it."
9. "Stupidity has its own reward."
Get the Theater
Your weekly guide to local culture with calendar listings and theater, dance, and comedy reviews.
More ARTS News
- Weed Smuggler and Thai Stick Co-Author Mike Ritter Had Some High Times at Sea
- Stick Your Head Inside an Infinity Box and See a Kaleidoscope Version of Yourself
- The World's Most Obsessed Velvet Art Collectors Want You to See the Light at...
- No, The Power of Duff Is Not About Homer Simpson (But You Should See It Anyway)