7 Movies to See in L.A. This Week, Including The Big Lebowski and a Paris Hilton Slasher Pic
The Big Lebowski screens at Hollywood Forever Cemetery. What's not to like?
This week's to-do list of movies to see around town includes 'nam, wax and bowling. Check them out:
Thursday, July 26
7. Di di mau! The Deer Hunter, not just the best Vietnam movie but one of the best movies period, plays the Aero at 7:30.
6. Two free sneak previews courtesy of Cinefamily: Sundance hit Searching for Sugar Man, a documentary about a semi-unsung folk singer from the late '60s named Rodriguez, and the fake-guru doc Kumaré. First-come, first-served with online reservation.
Friday, July 27
5. A wistful tale of strained marital fidelity amid a violent storm, Jean Grémillon's Remorques plays LACMA's Bing Theater at 7:30 p.m. as part of Film Independent's French Film Fridays.
4. Spoiler alert: Want to see Paris Hilton get killed in a campy slasher flick? Head to Cinefamily for a midnight screening of 2005's House of Wax.
Paris Hilton in House of Wax
Saturday, July 28
3. UCLA's Rod Serling retrospective presents A Carol for Another Christmas, the screenwriter's nuclear-laced adaptation of Dickens classic A Christmas Carol. Highlights of this Joseph L. Mankiewicz-directed curio include Peter Sellers as a "demigod presiding over a Christmas seemingly from Hell" and the fact that it was produced in support of the United Nations. Screening immediately afterward is a 1964 episode of the religious TV show Insight penned by Serling.
2. You want to see The Big Lebowski at Hollywood Forever Cemetery tonight? There are ways, reader. You don't want to know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you there by 9 o'clock tonight (doors at 7:30).
Sunday, July 29
1. A conqueror, already conquered? Cecil B. DeMille's The Ten Commandments -- the 1956 remake of his own lesser-known 1923 version -- plays the Aero at 5 p.m. Biblical epics aren't so fashionable these days, but don't tell that to Charlton Heston's beard.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.