6 Movies to See This Week, Including Wet Hot American Summer in a Cemetery
Wet Hot American Summer
Our weekly list of special movie events to check out in L.A.:
Thursday, Aug. 16
6. Last January at Sundance, a movie starring Frank Langella (who played Richard Nixon in Frost/Nixon and, more importantly, the scheming owner of the Knicks in Eddie) as a man who becomes friends with a robot made quite the splash. That movie is called Robot & Frank, and USC is playing it for free tonight at 7.
Friday, Aug. 17
5. UCLA's Breaking Ground: 60 Years of Austrian Experimental Cinema kicks off with an hourlong program consisting of nearly a dozen different restaged documentaries, found-footage shorts and other central European oddities.
4. If you miss Patrick Swayze, honor his memory by coming to Cinefamily's midnight screening of Road House. Failing that, you could at least watch the pure adrenaline edition of Point Break at home.
Saturday, Aug. 18
3. Cinespia's screening series at Hollywood Forever cemetery has been running all summer long, but things come to a head with Wet Hot American Summer at 8:30, '80s horror classic Sleepaway Camp at midnight, highlights from the original Friday the 13th, DJs spinning between films, documentaries about nature and surfing, photo booths and other camp-related goings-on. The event runs from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m., so bring a blanket.
2. Tonight at the Echo Park Film Center, a self-described "dark, transcendent, neorealist fable set in a utopian communal squat in a Moscow ghetto" called A Place on Earth screens at 8.
Sunday, Aug. 19
1. Set in the then-future of 1980, 1930's Just Imagine -- a goddamn sci-fi musical -- is, at heart, a fish-out-of-water story about the pains of adapting to a new time and place. Come to the Aero at 5:30 and see if it makes you feel a feel.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.