10 Geeky Hollywood Artifacts Sold at Auction Over the Weekend, from Empire Strikes Back, Star Trek, Willy Wonka, Walt Disney and Others
Car from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Courtesy of Profiles in History
An auction of big-name Hollywood geek porn organized by Profiles in History at the Saban Theater in Beverly Hills this past weekend grossed more than $5.8 million. We bring you the highlights:
10. An original film cel from the crawl used in the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back . For the non-geeks among you, that's all that "previously on Star Wars" stuff, beginning with "It is a dark time for the Rebellion...": $46,000
9. A production cel from Sleeping Beauty: $48,875
8. Marilyn Monroe's pink satin Ferragamo high heels she wore in Let's Make Love: $18,400
The Nighttime Show with Stephen Kramer Glickman & More!
TicketsSat., May. 27, 10:00pm
Fresh Faces & Friends
TicketsSun., May. 28, 7:00pm
Tony Award-Winner Donna McKechnie From a Chorus Line
TicketsSun., May. 28, 7:30pm
TicketsMon., May. 29, 8:30pm
Improv Open Mic Happy Hour
TicketsTue., May. 30, 5:45pm
7. Ricardo Montalban's "Khan" desert helmet from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: $37,375
6. James Dean's tweed jacket from Rebel Without a Cause: $63,250
5. The Wicked Witch of the West's crystal ball from The Wizard of Oz: $126,500
4. A prop Everlasting Gobstopper from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory: $48,875
3. John Lennon's original handwritten lyrics for "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds": $230,000
2. The car from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which earned $805,000, which was less than the initial pre-auction estimate of $1 million.
1. Walt Disney's letter to Mickey Mouse creator Ub Iwerks, asking him to help start a studio: $241,500
A cardigan sweater worn by Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski was also for sale and then removed when there were doubts about whether it was actually used in the movie, according to the L.A. Times.
Get the Theater Newsletter
Get a rundown of upcoming theater events and ticket deals in Los Angeles.