By LA Weekly
By Henry Rollins
By Weekly Photographers
By Shea Serrano
By Nate "Igor" Smith
By Dan Weiss
By Erica E. Phillips
By Kai Flanders
Seeing a performance by soulful force of nature Meshell Ndegeocello is always a treat, but this week's show at Largo has a bonus incentive. Billed as "Gett Off: Meshell Ndegeocello Covers Prince," the program will include the bassist's unique take on the Purple One's catalog, accompanied by Chris Bruce on guitar, Deantoni Parks on drums and Keefus Ciancia on keys.
We asked Meshell for her Top Five Prince Tunes, and she got back to us without hesitation with some deep cuts from the very early years.
"These are my favorites," she explains, "but not exactly representative of what I'm playing. For the shows, I go both ways — obscure and beloved."
• "Annie Christian" (Controversy, 1981): "It's a political yet enchantingly post-punk tune. It shows why and how he was such an innovator."
• "Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)" (1999, 1982): " 'Must be something in the water you drink.' I love this song. I don't have any critical thinking on it, it just makes me hot."
• "All the Critics Love U in New York" (1999, 1982): "Great bass line and just an interesting groove. Basically, I love when he is slanted, angry. His cultural critiques were so sharp then."
• "Gotta Broken Heart Again" (Dirty Mind, 1980): "It's simply beautiful. I remember in my youth it gave words to my own inner dialogue. His music saved me many a time."
• "I'm Yours" (For You, 1978): "Oh, my God! It has a bass solo, and he played all the instruments. What more do you want?"
"Gett Off: Meshell Ndegeocello Covers Prince," Thurs., March 10, Largo at the Coronet
[Unlisted] SHOWCASE and OPEN MIC / JAM: Thursday, March 10th> SHOWCASE: 7:00pm - Benefit: Pro-Vocalists - Mary Bogue & Al Timss + Guest Stars > OPEN MIC / JAM: 8:00pm (sign-up 7:30pm) w/ You, other special guest & VIP. Both "Companion Events" will feature D'z In-House "Lady & Gentlemen" Live Jazz Trio. "D" - Founder/Organiger/(Reg.)Host/vocal. DOLORES PETERSEN Presents: @ HSB&G 6122-6124 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood.
"Companion Events" (multi-genre - instrumental/vocal)Ongoing every Thursday Night; “A Herstorical, patrons of contributive arts Renaissance” > SHOWCASE: To benefit the Revlon Run Walk. STOMP OUT Women's Cancer! Guest Stars; Larry Davis, Marilyn Forrest, James Geralden, Kyle Hollingsworth & Dolores Petersen. ($10 benefit donation) > OPEN MIC / JAM: D'z "steller" Trio w/ "Master" improv-accompanist/soloists; Karen HERNANDEZ - Music Director/piano & Tony DUMAS - bass, Ralph Penland - drums. FREE w/ Minimum: food/beverage purchases. Patron of arts/event tips solicited. Pay2play or sing tip encouraged. Parking FREE
Gett Off, not Get Off. The Largo spelled it incorrectly as well...
Find everything you're looking for in your city
Find the best happy hour deals in your city
Get today's exclusive deals at savings of anywhere from 50-90%
Check out the hottest list of places and things to do around your city