Loading...

Trouble for a New Death Row 

Thursday, Feb 27 2003
Comments

A proposal by Governor Gray Davis to build a new $220 million death row at San Quentin hit a hurdle last week when the Legislature’s top budget expert came out against the plan.

As part of her review of Davis’ proposed 2003-2004 budget, nonpartisan legislative analyst Elizabeth Hill found the pitch for a 1,000-bed maximum-security prison short on details and too limited in scope to justify the expense. “We acknowledge that the existing housing for this population is not ideal,” she wrote. But in its current form, “The project is not ready to proceed.”

Hill noted if the death-row population continues to grow at its current rate, the new prison would be full in 10 years. Since the proposal did not say whether the San Quentin site could accommodate expansion, she said, the plan is “only an interim solution.”

Related Stories

Hill also said the cost is too high when compared with other prisons built in recent years — a new San Quentin cell would cost about $200,000 compared to $142,000 at a new maximum-security prison in Delano.

The death-row plan will be reviewed by the Legislature as part of budget negotiations over the next several months.

More than 600 men are housed in aging and overcrowded quarters at San Quentin, the nation’s largest death row (condemned women are held at a separate prison). In an interview, warden Jeanne Woodford called prison conditions “very unsafe” for both staff and inmates. “Over a couple-year period there were several staff assaults and several attempts to assault staff, as well as inmates cutting out of the yard,” Woodford said. “Our physical plant allows for many blind spots.”

The push for a new death row has brought together an unlikely coalition of prison officials — Bay Area capital defense attorneys and prisoners’ rights advocates — motivated by a desire for improved safety for staff or better living conditions for inmates.

The project would be paid for with a lease-revenue bond, which requires legislative approval. Money for the bond, which would be due in 2007, would come from the General Fund.

Earlier this month Woodford opened the doors of death row to the media for the first time in 30 years, leading a dozen handpicked journalists on a four-hour tour of the condemned inmates’ housing. “I do think most people who look at this understand there is a need,” she said. “People may not agree on the solution, but I’m very pleased that people are discussing it.”

—Sara Catania

Related Content

Now Trending

  • Jay Z Grand Park Concert Is Official as Mayor Plans Announcement

    It looks like Mayor Eric Garcetti is going to officially announce that a two-day "Budweiser Made in America" festival is taking place  at downtown L.A.'s Grand Park. The mayor's office said today he " will make an announcement with Shawn "JAY Z" Carter, Supervisor Gloria Molina, City Council President Herb...
  • "Compton Division" Pimps Made Millions, Cops Say

    A trio of local pimps forced women to work the streets from San Diego to Las Vegas and beyond, cops say, and they allegedly made millions doing so. But now 31-year-old Robert Walker, 34-year-old Daniel Gunther, and 34-year-old David Sheffey, who called their crew the Compton Division, are behind bars, says...
  • L.A.'s Top 10 Streets for Bicycle Crashes Revealed

    You're probably already aware that there's a hit-and-run epidemic in L.A., and that bicycling in a car-crazed capital like Los Angeles can be hazardous to your health. See also: Critical Mass Bike Ride Recognizes L.A. Hit-&-Run Victims But the nerds at the MIT Media Lab's Social Computing Group recently came up...
    2

Slideshows